ESD, electrostatic discharge refers to the transfer of charges caused by objects with different electrostatic potentials close to each other or indirect contact. It is a natural phenomenon that happens while electrons on the surface of objects are triboelectric charging or redistributed, in such a way a charge imbalance occurs and an electric field is created.
Simply put, when someone's hand is dry or friction occurs, it is easy to lose electrons, so that the hand is positively charged. While carrying a positive charge touches an external conductor, the electrons of the conductor will transfer to the hand, thereby generating an electric current. The voltage generated in this process can reach thousands of volts. If the hand carrying a positive charge touches a circuit component or an interface on an electronic device, a great voltage and current will be generated at the moment of contact, which will damage the circuit component.
That is why ESD protection is essential in dealing with electronic technology, like laser modules etc.
The ESD protection device protects a circuit from an electrostatic discharge, in order to prevent a malfunction or breakdown of an electronic device.
ESD protection measurement:
1. Static dissipative: mainly use static dissipative materials (with a surface resistance of 10 to the 5th power of ohms to 10 to the 11th power of ohms) to replace ordinary materials. For example, anti-static table mats used in anti-static work areas, anti-static floors, anti-static packaging boxes, and so on.
2. Static discharge: usually refers to the grounding of equipment and personnel, that is, the equipment is grounded through a metal wire with a cross-sectional area that meets the standard, and personnel are grounded through measures such as wristbands, clothing, and anti-static shoes.
3. Static neutralization: Generally, when it is difficult to use grounding or static electricity dissipation measures, an ion generator is used to produce positive and negative ions, and the ions are blown to the area where static electricity needs to be eliminated to neutralize the generated static electricity. Common ones are ion fans, wind snakes and so on.
4. Static shielding: Electrostatic shielding is divided into active shielding and passive shielding. It mainly refers to the use of the Faraday cage principle and the use of enclosed conductors to shield static power sources or products that need protection.
5. Environmental humidification: Experimental data shows that the increase in environmental humidity can effectively reduce the probability of electrostatic discharge. However, environmental humidification can only be used as an auxiliary measure and cannot replace the above measures.
6. ESD protection design of electronic products: Anti-static circuits are set on electrostatic sensitive components. There are many kinds of mature protection circuits at home and abroad, which can effectively protect the electrostatic voltage of thousands of volts. The protection circuit can reduce the susceptibility of components to ESD, but it cannot be completely eliminated.
ELITE laser modules own level-4 ESD Protection in order to reduce the susceptibility of laser diode to ESD, and perform well with high stability and long life span. Welcome to contact us for more laser module details at firstname.lastname@example.org or +86-29-68590616!